(November 2003 TG Entry: Thanksgiving. Posted to Kip on Character Blog Thanksgiving Day, 2018, 15 years later).
I Thanksgiving Day and Music and Joy
Written as the “spoken word” for our Family Thanksgiving Concert, Thanksgiving Day 2003
(Sounds like this means we should eat all the leftovers on Thanksgiving.)
29 And when ye will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving unto the LORD, offer it at your own will.
30 On the same day it shall be eaten up; ye shall leave none of it until the morrow: I am the LORD.
15 And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance—
16 Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth;
17 Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;
18 Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;
19 Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.
28 If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing, and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving.
1 PRAISE ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.
2 The LORD doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel.
3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
4 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names.
5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
6 The LORD lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground.
7 Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God:
1 MAKE a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
- Lev. 7:12 offer it for a t., then he shall offer with the sacrifice of t.
- Neh. 11:17 principal to begin the t. in prayer
- Ps. 50:14 Offer unto God t.
- Ps. 95:2 come before his presence with t.
- Ps. 100:4 Enter into his gates with t.
- 2 Cor. 4:15 grace might through the t. of many redound to the glory of God
- 2 Cor. 9:11 which causeth through us t. to God
- Philip. 4:6 with t. let your requests be made known
- Col. 2:7 abounding therein with t.
- 1 Tim. 4:4 (D&C 78:19) nothing … refused, if it be received with t.
- Rev. 7:12 t. … be unto our God
- Alma 34:38 live in t. daily
- 3 Ne. 10:10 mourning was turned into … t. unto the Lord
- D&C 46:7 (136:28) doing all things with prayer and t.
- D&C 89:11 to be used with prudence and t.
- D&C 97:13 place of t. for all saints