(July 2002 TG Entry: God, Glory of)
The following simply categorizes all entries in the Topical Guide under God, Glory of, by major theme.
I God The Eternal Father is a God of Glory
- Moses 1:2 g. of God was upon Moses
- Moses 1:9 presence of God withdrew from Moses, that his g. was not upon Moses
- Moses 1:20 one God only will I worship, which is the God of g.
- Moses 1:39 my g.—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life
- Moses 4:2 thy will be done, and the g. be thine forever
- Moses 7:17 so great was the g. of the Lord
II God’s glory is often represented as Fire by night, or Cloud by day
- Ex. 16:10 g. of the Lord appeared in the cloud
- Ex. 24:17 g. of the Lord was like devouring fire
- Heb. 12:29 our God is a consuming fire
- D&C 84:5 cloud shall be even the g. of the Lord
III The Christ will come in the Glory of His Father
- Matt. 16:27 (Mark 8:38; Luke 9:26) Son of man shall come in the g. of his Father
- Matt. 24:30 (Mark 13:26; Luke 21:27; D&C 45:44; JS-M 1:36) Son of man coming … with power and great g.
- Luke 24:26 Ought not Christ … to enter into his g.
- 2 Cor. 4:6 g. of God in the face of Jesus Christ
- Titus 2:13 Looking for the glorious appearing of the great God
- 1 Pet. 4:13 when his g. shall be revealed
- 1 Pet. 5:1 partaker of the g. that shall be revealed
- 2 Pet. 1:17 he received from God the Father honour and g.
- Rev. 21:23 g. of God did lighten it
- 1 Ne. 22:24 Holy One of Israel must reign in … great g.
- Alma 5:50 Son of God cometh in his g.
- Alma 9:26 his g. shall be the g. of the Only Begotten
- Alma 13:24 his word at the time of his coming in his g.
- 3 Ne. 26:3 he should come in his g.
- 3 Ne. 28:7 I shall come in my g.
- D&C 6:30 you shall dwell with me in g.
- D&C 7:3 tarry until I come in my g.
- D&C 21:6 heavens to shake for … his name’s g.
- D&C 45:16 when I shall come in my g.
- D&C 45:59 his g. shall be upon them
- D&C 49:6 taken his power on the right hand of his g.
- D&C 56:18 kingdom of God coming in power and great g.
- D&C 65:5 clothed in the brightness of his g.
- D&C 133:49 great shall be the g. of his presence
IV The Glory of God is Visible, Evident and Full
- Ex. 40:34 g. of the Lord filled the tabernacle
- Lev. 9:23 g. of the Lord appeared unto all
- Num. 14:21 (Ps. 72:19; Isa. 6:3) earth shall be filled with the g. of the Lord
- Deut. 5:24 God hath shewed us his g.
- Ps. 19:1 heavens declare the g. of God
- Isa. 40:5 g. of the Lord shall be revealed
- Ezek. 8:4 g. of the God of Israel was there
- Hab. 2:14 filled with the knowledge of the g. of the Lord
- Luke 2:9 g. of the Lord shone round about them
- 2 Ne. 1:15 I have beheld his g.
- 2 Ne. 12:19 g. of his majesty shall smite them
- Mosiah 4:12 knowledge of the g. of him that created you
- D&C 76:20 we beheld the g. of the Son
- D&C 76:56 received of his fulness, and of his g.
- D&C 76:70 celestial, whose g. is that of the sun
- D&C 93:11 I beheld his g., as the g. of the Only Begotten
- D&C 93:36 g. of God is intelligence
- D&C 97:15 build a house unto me … my g. shall rest upon it
- D&C 109:37 let thy house be filled … with thy g.
- JS-H 1:17 whose brightness and g. defy all description.
V All Glory is Ascribed to the Father
- Ps. 29:2 Give unto the Lord the g. due unto his name
- Matt. 6:13 (3 Ne. 13:13) thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the g.
- Luke 2:14 g. to God in the highest, and on earth peace
- Rom. 9:23 make known the riches of his g.
- Rom. 11:36 (Gal. 1:5; 2 Tim. 4:18; Heb. 13:21; 1 Pet. 5:11) to whom be g. for ever
- 1 Cor. 1:31 He that g., let him g. in the Lord
- 1 Cor. 10:31 whatsoever ye do, do all to the g. of God
- 1 Cor. 11:7 he is the image and g. of God
- 2 Cor. 3:18 beholding as in a glass the g. of the Lord
- 2 Cor. 10:17 he that g., let him g. in the Lord
- Philip. 2:11 Jesus Christ is Lord, to the g. of God
- Philip. 4:20 unto God and our Father be g. for ever
- Jude 1:25 Saviour, be g. and majesty, dominion and power
- Rev. 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive g.
- D&C 4:5 (27:2; 82:19; 88:67) with an eye single to the g. of God
- D&C 132:63 work of my Father continued, that he may be glorified
VI We are Partakers of God’s Glory
- Isa. 43:7 I have created him for my g.
- Dan. 7:14 given him dominion, and g.
- Col. 1:11 Strengthened … according to his glorious power
- 2 Thes. 2:14 to the obtaining of the g. of our Lord
- D&C 29:12 apostles … shall stand … in g.
- D&C 64:41 g. of the Lord shall be upon her
- D&C 78:8 expedient that all things be done unto my g.
- D&C 81:4 promote the g. of … your Lord
- D&C 84:32 sons of Moses and of Aaron shall be filled with the g.
- D&C 84:101 she is clothed with the g. of her God
- D&C 88:107 saints shall be filled with his g.
- D&C 132:6 new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for … my g.
VII We may Partake of His Glory, But Not the Fullness Upon The Earth
God’s works are endless. But in some way, his glory encompasses them all.
4 And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease.
5 Wherefore, no man can behold all my works, except he behold all my glory; and no man can behold all my glory, and afterwards remain in the flesh on the earth.
I think the scripture says something about what we are as opposed to what we do. We should make sure that in all our doing, we are becoming something.
God’s glory encompasses all that he has done. Even though his works might be endless, they can be comprehended or understood by understanding his glory.
The reason a man cannot comprehend all of God’s glory and afterwards remain in the flesh is explained at Transfiguration. [Forward Reference]
- Prov. 25:2 g. of God to conceal a thing
- Ezek. 39:21 I will set my g. among the heathen
- Luke 9:32 when they were awake, they saw his g.
- Rom. 1:23 changed the g. of the uncorruptible God
- Rom. 3:23 sinned, and come short of the g. of God
- Heb. 1:3 Who being the brightness of his g.
- Heb. 3:3 this man was counted worthy of more g.
- Jacob 4:4 hope of his g. many hundred years before
- D&C 84:24 rest is the fulness of his g.
- D&C 98:3 work together … to my name’s g.
See Glorify [Forward Reference] for an in-depth study of these references
- John 1:14 we beheld his g., the g. as of the only begotten
- John 2:11 manifested forth his g.
- John 8:50 I seek not mine own g.
- John 12:41 Esaias, when he saw his g.
- John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified
- John 17:5 g. which I had with thee before
- John 17:22 g. which thou gavest me I have given them
Glory [Forward Reference]
2 thoughts on “Topic Study: God, Glory of”