(June 2005 TG Entry: Heir)
I Abraham Desires to Be An Heir
- Abr. 1:2 I became a rightful h.
II What Promises Are Made to Abraham
III Christ, The Firstborn, is the True Heir
- Heb. 1:2 his Son, whom he hath appointed h. of all
- Matt. 21:38 (Mark 12:7; Luke 20:14) the h., come, let us kill him
(Considering studying Jesus Christ, Firstborn)
Paul expanded on this topic in Galatians 4:5.
1 NOW I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.
3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Gal. 4:1 – 7
Rom. 8:17 if children, then h., h. of God, and joint-h.
106 And again, another angel shall sound his trump, which is the seventh angel, saying: It is finished; it is finished! The Lamb of God hath overcome and trodden the wine–press alone, even the wine–press of the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God.
107 And then shall the angels be crowned with the glory of his might, and the saints shall be filled with his glory, and receive their inheritance and be made equal with him.
- Heb. 1:14 them who shall be h. of salvation
- James 2:5 rich in faith, and h. of the kingdom
- D&C 52:2 those who are h. according to the covenant
- D&C 86:9 ye are lawful h., according to the flesh
- D&C 137:7 be h. of the celestial kingdom of God
V We Become Joint-Heirs Through Righteousness
- Rom. 4:13 that he should be the h. of the world
- Gal. 3:29 h. according to the promise
- Gal. 4:7 if a son, then an h. of God through Christ
- Titus 3:7 we should be made h.
- Heb. 11:7 by faith Noah … became h. of the righteousness
- Mosiah 15:11 h. of the kingdom of God
- D&C 70:8 h. according to the laws of the kingdom
VI Church of the Firstborn
When we become Joint-heirs, we become members of the church of the Firstborn.
- Prov. 30:23 an handmaid that is h. to her mistress
- 1 Pet. 3:7 being h. together of the grace of life
- D&C 7:6 (76:88) who shall be h. of salvation